mgb gt badge

The MGB is a two door sports car manufactured and marketed by MG Cars and its successors as a four cylinder, soft top roadster from 1962 to 1980, along with variants including the MGB GT three door 2+2 coupé from 1965 to 1974, the six cylinder roadster and coupé MGC from 1967 to 1969 and the eight cylinder 2+2 coupé, the MGB GT V8 from 1973 1976.

Replacing the MGA in 1962, production of the MGB and its variants continued by the British Motor Corporation and its successors, British Motor Holdings and British Leyland Motor Corporation until 1980, achieving sales for the MGB, MGC and MGB GT V8 of 523,836 cars. The MGB bodyshell was reprised in modified form with a limited run of 2,000 MG RV8 roadsters from 1993 to 1995.

In structure the MGB was an innovative, modern design in 1962, utilizing a monocoque structure instead of the traditional body on frame construction used on both the MGA and MG T types and the MGB’s rival, the Triumph TR series.

However components such as brakes and suspension were developments of the earlier 1955 MGA with the B Series engine having its origins in 1947. The lightweight design reduced manufacturing costs while adding to overall vehicle strength. Wind up windows were standard, and a comfortable driver’s compartment offered plenty of legroom. A parcel shelf was fitted behind the seats.

The MGB achieved a 0 to 60 mph (96 km/h) time of just over 11 seconds. The 3 bearing 1798 cc B Series engine produced 95 hp (71 kW) at 5,400 rpm, this was upgraded in October 1964 to a five bearing crankshaft. The majority of MGB’s were exported to United States. In 1975 US market MGB engines were de tuned to meet emission standards while ride height was increased by an inch (25 mm) and distinctive rubber bumpers were fitted to meet bumper standards.

The MGB was one of the first cars to feature controlled crumple zones designed to protect the driver and passenger in a 30 mph (48 km/h) impact with an immovable barrier weighing 200 ton.

A limited production of 2,000 units of the RV8 was produced by Rover in the 1990s. Despite the similarity in appearance to the roadster, the RV8 had less than 5 percent parts interchangeability with the original car.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *